Toilet Overflow Cleanup in Califon, New Jersey
Everyone knows the panic of watching the toilet water slowly reaching the top of the toilet bowl, but not everyone knows how to clean up after a toilet overflow. When you need help with the water damage from an overflowing toilet in Califon, New Jersey, SERVPRO of Greater Hunterdon County is Here to Help.
Steps to Take Immediately After A Toilet Overflow
Before starting toilet overflow cleanup in Califon, there are a few steps you can take to help prevent further water damage to your home.
1. Stop the overflow as soon as possible
Taking this fast action can help prevent gallons of toilet water from flooding your home. To stop an overflowing toilet, do the following:
- Remove the lid to the toilet tank.
- Push down the flapper valve (rubber flap inside the tank) to stop clean water from filling the toilet bowl.
- Lift the float to stop the tank fill valve from refilling the toilet tank.
- If the toilet does not stop, turn off the water supply by turning off the valve behind the toilet on the wall.
2. Clean up standing water
You should be cautious with this step, as black water contaminated with feces or other waste can make you seriously ill when you come into contact with it. Be sure to wear rubber gloves. Mop up the water as best as you can to help prevent it from seeping through to the ceiling or rooms below.
3. Clear the clog
You may be able to solve your overflowing toilet by yourself just using a plunger. If you can't unclog the toilet or it continues to overflow without being flushed, you'll have to call a plumber to clear the clog for you.
Call a professional to finish toilet overflow cleanup in Califon
Of course, there are times where your toilet overflows a small amount and you don't need to call a water damage restoration company to clean up the damages. But anytime your toilet overflows with solids, raw sewage, or has been overflowing with clean water for an extended amount of time, you should call the toilet overflow cleanup specialists at SERVPRO of Greater Hunterdon County.
You should call a water damage restoration service for toilet overflows in Califon because:
- Toilet water can contain contaminants that can you make you seriously ill when you come in contact with them.
- Water migrating between floors of your home can cause intense water damage to floors, ceilings, and insulation.
- Without proper drying after water damage, mold growth may form in as little as 48 hours.
- Insurance companies will not want to cover damages from an old toilet overflow that has worsened over time (So it's best to do it right the first time!)
- Without the proper training or knowledge, water damage may go unnoticed and threaten the structural integrity of your home.